Archive for the ‘Library’ Category
Note: I’m semi back on track here after moving! I now have not one but TWO places to place my books in (my apartment and my dad’s place) so that means more room to fill books with hahah! won’t be doing my usual Monday Combo today, let’s just say I took WAY too many books from the library yesterday and those books still need some reorganizing. So for today just a Musing Monday! enjoy! (it’s an old Musing Monday, but I decided to participate nevertheless)
Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about library etiquette…
For the regular library patrons among us: do you have your own idea of what constitutes proper library etiquette? Is there anything you always try to do? Anything you hate when others do?
- Oh gosh where do I start with this one? proper library etiquette…well, cell phones should be turned off or put to vibrate. People shouldn’t eat at the library (I’ve seen people bring in McCrap’s into the place), people should actually LINE UP to get their books taken out instead of letting their kids out of the leash so they can run up to the self checkout stations without lining up and so that gives the parent the frakking excuse to get ahead of everybody else (yes..this happens, frequently..and you can’t understand how much I hate that..a lot..it makes me want to grind my teeth and makes me want to scream at the parent to tell their bloody kids to learn to line up to wait to use something instead of cutting in front of everyone else.)
Things I can’t stand besides the mini rant mentioned above? people who bring food into the library annoy me, oh and why can’t people return books on time????, people who rip pages out of a book and return it and then someone like me tries to read it and wonders why the hell doesn’t this make sense, oh and another thing, the library is supposed to be a rather semi quiet place..why do parents insist on letting their children run amok and screaming as if they entered Disneyland the moment they go through the door?
I always return the book in the same condition I took it out. I never dog ear pages (another pet peeve of mine) and always return my books on time unless by some fluke I miss a date (in which case, the hombre would be on my arse about it since it’s his card I’m using)
Okay! I’m done rambling! I’ll step down from my soapbox now.
Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is a library habits meme…
This week we have a library meme courtesy of MizB:
Library Habits meme:
1) If you don’t frequent your local library, why not?
2) If you do visit the library, how often do you go? – Once a week muahaha and I’m using my boyfriend’s library card. OMG I’m such a baaad girl muahahah!
3) Do you have a favorite section that you always head to first, or do you just randomly peruse the shelves? – I usually have a list before I go to the library but I’m always on the lookout for other books as I look.
4) How many books are you allowed to check out at one time? Do you take advantage of this? – Apparently 28. I fully intend to take advantage of this.
5) How long are you allowed to have the books checked out? – Looks like about 3 weeks.
6) How many times are you allowed to renew your check-outs, if at all? – 3′s the magic number.
7) What do you love best about your particular library? – They have 90% of the YA books I find interesting through book blogs.
8) What is one thing you wish your library did differently? – Stop putting all the fiction all over the bloody library and have them in one section. When I’m looking for something, it might not be there, but under “new reads” or “hot fiction” WTF is that? just put them in one place damnit!
9) Do you request your books via an online catalogue, or through the librarian at your branch? – Online catalogue.
10) Have you ever chosen a book on impulse (from the online catalogue OR the shelves) and had it turn out to be totally amazing? If so, what book was it, and why did you love it? – Not yet. I’ve had bad luck with that actually.
What’s everyone else’s answers?
Today’s also Library Finds of the week (something I made up for the past few weeks). Nothing in my mailbox yet! (cleans out cobwebs) still waiting However! I scored A LOT at the library and found the following:
The Dogs of Riga – Henning Mankell (Part of Suspense & Thriller Challenge)
The Strain – Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan (Suspense Thriller Challenge again)
Fairest – Gail Carson Levine (Thanks to Read em Yet Wednesday. MUAHAHA I found it!!)
Shanghai Girls – Lisa See (this looked good read good reviews on it)
Never Let Me Go – Kazuo Ishigiro (thought this one was interesting)
The Luxe – Anna Godbersen (YA challenge book)
What Was Lost – Catherine O’Flynn (read reviews caught my eye)
The Lady Elizabeth – Alison Weir (my Tudor Fix! muaha)
what did you find at the library this week?
Here I am again with my library finds of the week. As I said before my blog is too “young” to get any books in my mailbox (although I am expecting three ARCS!) so I decided to go the library to see what I can find to amuse myself there. I went yesterday instead of today as I start my bellydancing class this is what I got for this week:
Rebel Angels – Libba Bray (Have to find out what The Order is!)
Blue Bloods – Melissa De La Cruz (Part of my YA Challenge)
The Cleaner – Brett Battles (Read a review of one of his other books, might as well start with the first book)
The 6th Lamentation – William Broderick (I feel like a WWII novel)
The Eagle of the Ninth – Rosemary Sutcliff (Found this thanks to Read Em Yet Wednesday)
Emperor: Time’s Tapestry #1 – Stephen Baxter (was on shelf, decided to grab it, looked interesting)
There are my finds! if you have found anything interesting at your library and feel like sharing, post on your blog and leave a comment or, leave a comment and let me and everyone else know!
Hooray! the start of another fresh week! Today’s Musing Monday hosted by Just One More Page.
Who, if anyone usually accompanies you to the library? Is it somewhere you go alone? Or is it a regular outing with family or friends? Which do you prefer?
*cracks up laughing*
I almost always go alone. I try and bring Nny along and yes, lately he has been coming with me and taking some out for himself (although…he doesn’t read them, well sometimes he does perhaps it’s a time issue for him). However most of the time when I ask him to come along he gives me this face as if saying: “Do I have to?” it’s like as if you’re taking your man along and you’re going to shop at girlie stores for the whole day and forcing him to keep you company. However that’s been changing these past two trips to the library. It’s strange. Makes me wonder what the hell he wants in return for putting up with me at the library. Thing is, if I’m with him it’s an in/out thing so I have to write a list of what I’m looking for. Which is okay I suppose because if I’m there to look I’ll be there all day and be taking out more than I should. At least when I’m with him or if he’s in the car waiting for me I’m compelled to go and take the ones I want, skim the shelves randomly and pick a few more and that’s it. Out the door. So maybe it’s a good thing that he comes with me I get my bibliophile urges controlled. *laughs*
Speaking of which, I have to do my Library finds of the week
I just thought of something. I was oozing with envy as I surfed through book blogs and how these lucky people got all sorts of goodies in their mailboxes from authors and publishers alike. *sighs* I know I’ll get some books soon so I’m going to keep positive! (feels like grabbing a microphone and yelling over the PA: HEY I WANT SOME BOOKS TOO) So I decided to go to the library to make myself feel better.
I found some of these goodies:
The Virgin’s Lover – Philippa Gregory (was on hold and I picked it up hence another excuse to go to the library)
The Meaning of Night – Michael Cox (Victorian thriller)
The Templar Legacy – Steve Berry (Part of my Suspense and Thriller Challenge)
The Dark Queen – Susan Carroll (Was on my Wishlist)
Creepers – David Morell (Part of my Take a Chance Challenge) (because The Ruby in Her Navel didn’t work out)
voila there’s my treasure! anybody else go to the library and found something good?
Teaser Tuesday is coming up soon!